Fitness and Nutrition for Senior Citizens
Today with the improvements in medicine and the increased emphasis on living better and preventative care, people have a greater life expectancy than ever. According to statistics compiled by the CDC, as of 2009, the average life expectancy is 78.5 years. This figure is substantial higher than it was a generation ago. Because of the greater life expectancy, senior citizens have become more aware of what they can do to live a longer and healthier life. Here are just a few of the area where seniors can help live longer and healthier lives:
Healthy Diet and Nutrition
A balanced diet using the major food groups is very important for all people, but especially for the elderly. By improving nutrition, senior citizens are improving their overall health. In addition, as people age, certain nutrients need to be replaced either by diet or by supplements.
- Senior Nutrition and Diet Tips - Helpful site providing the elderly with information on how to maintain a healthy diet.
- Proper Senior Nutrition - Information on what foods to eat and not to eat to remain healthy as well as tips on vitamins and supplements.
- Senior Citizen Diets - Collection of diets that senior citizens can use for a number of health areas.
- Senior Nutrition – Useful article from Harvard informing the elderly about the need to have good nutritional habits.
- Nutrition for Seniors – Excellent resource for senior citizens providing them with a variety of information about nutrition and health.
- Seniors and Nutrition – Good selection of resources about nutrition and its importance as we age.
- Nutrition Guide – Guide provided by the New York State Department of Aging proving several useful tips for the elderly.
Senior Citizen Health
With aging comes the chance for additional health concerns. Seniors need to be concerned with high blood pressure, age related eye problems, weakness in joints and bones and many other health issues. With the additional health concerns of the elderly, it is very important for seniors to keep track of their health. To do so, it is important to go to regular doctors appointments to monitor their overall health.
- Life Expectancy - Information from the CDC on data related to life expectancy in people based on 2009 data.
- Senior Health – Portal of information providing seniors with information that is important to them related to health issues.
- Health Topics – Online journal of information for the elderly on a number of health topics.
- Healthy Living Tips – Article providing seniors with five easy to follow tips for a healthy life.
- Senior Health Tips – Collection of articles for senior citizens that cover a variety of health related topics.
- Health Tips for Seniors – Useful information for the elderly which provides a number of ideas on how to remain healthy.
- Medical Information for Seniors – Informative page with useful advice and information about many important topics for older people.
- Healthy Aging – Information from the Mayo Clinic website on what senior citizens can do to keep in good health as they get older.
Exercise for Seniors
One of the best ways for senior citizens to keep fit and feel better is through exercise. There are many different types of exercises that are good for the elderly. Exercise such as talking walks, riding bicycles or doing stretching exercises such as yoga are all very good for maintaining a healthy body. However, almost as important is exercising your mind. Doing puzzles or playing games can help keep the mind sharp and help combat the onset of memory loss.
- Exercise – Information on the health benefits of exercise for senior citizens.
- Senior Citizen Exercises – Helpful information on modest exercises that the elderly can safely do to improve health.
- Fitness for Elderly – Useful guide on safe exercises that can be done by seniors.
- Exercise for Seniors – Informative page with useful tips on programs that can be done by the elderly.
- Exercise and Fitness – Tips for seniors on what older people can do to remain healthy.
- Exercise Health Benefits – Web site providing the health benefits of exercise for senior citizens.
- Mental Exercises for Seniors – Information on some brain exercises that are useful for the elderly.
- Mental Exercises – A collection of tips on the types of mental exercises and games that can be played to improve memory.
Senior Health Resources
We hope you found this information to be helpful. As a service, here are some other general senior citizen health resources which you may also find useful. Please feel free to visit this page often and use this as a guide for healthy living for you or a senior citizen that you may know.
- Health Websites – Listing of one hundred helpful websites that seniors can use to get health information.
- Fifty and Over – Useful information on how to remain healthy as you get older.
- Health in Aging – Helpful website where visitors can find information on a number of senior health topics.
- Senior Health Resources – Informative page about health issues that are important to older people.
- Senior Citizen Resources - Large collection of informational resources for seniors covering a wide range of topics.
- Senior Resources – Site providing information on health related topics that are important to seniors.
- Medical Resources – Library of medical information and resources for seniors and all others.